Category: Visitor Experience
Position Title: Experience Assistant
Reporting Department: Visitor Experience
Reporting Supervisor: Discovery and Engagement Manager
Location: All areas of Minnetrista
Length of Appointment: Year round
Status: Non-exempt – Part Time
This position is responsible for creating a positive experience for all guests from their arrival to the time they leave. The Experience Assistant will develop and deliver engaging programs and is the Minnetrista ambassador through educational experiences and customer service.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent; bachelor’s degree in education, history, art, natural history/environmental education, or related field preferred; experience comparable to academic background acceptable.
- Must have the ability to work with the public and make them feel welcome by means of initiating conversations; as well as performing as a public speaker with exceptional verbal communication skills and a clear speaking voice.
- Must be courteous, smile and make eye contact.
- Must be able to take the initiative to seek out information and transfer that information to others.
- Must have some understanding of selling and promotional techniques.
- Must have excellent verbal and telephone skills.
- Must present a professional attitude and appearance, sound interpersonal skills, and good record keeping skills.
- Must be able to follow directions and implement quickly.
- Must have strong organizational skills and be able to prioritize multiple projects/ tasks.
- Must be able to walk an average of two to five miles a day. +
- Knowledge of and ability to adapt to different learning styles.
- Must be able to work with individuals of all ages and backgrounds, especially with children.
- Must have a working knowledge of Word, Outlook and Excel along with familiarity with using email and a database.
To be happy and successful in this position, an individual must be personally aligned with Minnetrista’s cultural values and visitor-centric focus. S/he should be able to ensure effective working relationships by cultivating and maintaining professional credibility with all staff, administration and volunteers. The individual should demonstrate maturity, sound judgement, a good sense of humor, and be energized by working collaboratively with peers and colleagues throughout the organization and community.
Minnetrista’s culture is team-oriented and collaborative. To that end, all positions include the following three performance standards:
- Your first priority and responsibility is to achieve the organization’s purpose. In other words, you in particular are responsible for everything –vision, values, mission, goals and strategies.
- Your second priority and responsibility is to help others achieve the organization’s purpose.
- Your third priority and responsibility is to carry out your job function as described below:
- Welcome visitors by engaging them in casual conversation in order to orient them to the site.
- Provide on-site programming.
- Orient and lead school and group tours.
- Give informal and formal presentations to walk-in visitors.
- Assist in the development of visitor experiences.
- Assist in the development and delivery of public programs and workshops.
- Participate in visitor service training opportunities to gain proficiency in particular skills for the position, as well as to learn information regarding Minnetrista and the community it serves.
- Inform visitors about future programs and events to sell and cross-sell these experiences to the public.
- Work with, assist, and coach volunteers and seasonal employees.
- Perform all other duties required.
Work schedule flexibility is critical; will need to work evenings and weekends and be able to move about the entire Minnetrista’s 40-acre campus. A valid driver’s license is required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR AVAILABILITY WITH YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME
Or mail your cover letter and resume to:
Attn: Human Resources Manager
1200 N. Minnetrista Pkwy.
Muncie, IN 47303-2925
*If you encounter an issue while applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Resumes with cover letters will receive additional consideration – our jobs require writing, so a cover letter is a good way to “show what you know and how it applies to the posted position.”