September–November; Mid-April–June 6
Grades 3–5 (90 minutes each)
Pairs well with:
- Tours—Community Growth
Explore three unique habitats in Minnetrista’s Nature Area: pond, woodland, and tallgrass prairie. By applying observation skills, using scientific tools, and having fun, your students will discover the importance of each of these habitats and how both plants and animals adapt to them.
What will my students do?
- Explore a prairie with bug nets
- Look for aquatic life with dip nets
- Search high and low for wildlife in the woodland using binoculars
- Play a game about animal adaptations
- Become part of the web of life
What will my students learn?
- How habitats are interconnected
- Living organisms include plants and animals; animals range from small to large
- Exploration is a fun, scientific process
- All living organisms have various adaptations that help them survive and live better in their respective habitat
- When environments are changed, living organisms in those environments are forced to adapt, move, or become extinct