Position Title: Head Chef
Reporting Department: Sales and Events
Reporting Supervisor: Sales and Events Manager
Length of Appointment: Year around – Full Time
Supervises and coordinates catering operations for internal and external clients. Directly responsible for food preparation at multiple levels – from casual receptions to fine dining meals.
- Associate’s degree in culinary arts, food management, or related field, and a minimum of three years’ experience of kitchen supervision and food handling in a professional setting
- Servesafe certification and a working understanding of health department standards
- Proficiency in food ordering, menu planning, and food preparation in a catered environment
- Basic understanding of Microsoft Office
To be happy and successful in this position, an individual must be personally aligned with Minnetrista’s cultural values and visitor-centric focus. They should be able to ensure effective working relationships by cultivating and maintaining professional credibility with all staff, administration and volunteers. The individual should demonstrate maturity, sound judgment, a good sense of humor, and be energized by working collaboratively with peers and colleagues throughout the organization and community.
Minnetrista’s culture is team-oriented and collaborative. To that end, all positions include the following three performance standards:
- Your first priority and responsibility is to achieve the organization’s purpose. In other words, you in particular are responsible for considering Minnetrista’s vision, values, mission, goals and strategies in your daily routines
- Your second priority and responsibility is to help others achieve the organization’s purpose.
- Your third priority and responsibility is to carry out your job function.
- Supervise and schedule staff, interns, and volunteers to appropriate levels to ensure maximum profitability while executing excellence in customer service.
- Maintain current Servsafe certification and health department compliance.
- Develop menu offerings consistent with our image and our customer expectations.
- Prepare and submit paperwork for final invoicing to Sales and Events Manager in a timely fashion.
- Maintain appropriate food, beverage, and supply inventory; select product sources to ensure maximum profitability and productivity within the institutional values and goals of stewardship and sustainability.
- Facilitate staff training in food safety and handling techniques.
- Ensure in-house hospitality needs are met.
- Actively participate in, and manage, food preparation.
- Manage timing of food completion in conjunction with event service needs.
- Organize, prioritize, and clearly communicate and collaborate with multiple teams.
- Manage catering equipment.
- Coordinate repair and replacement of kitchen supplies.
- Ensure kitchen, dish room, stock room, and in-house hospitality are in clean working order.
- Stay current on industry trends.
- Perform all other duties required.
Will have exposure to food items and kitchen utensils. Will work in a kitchen environment and serving visitors at various campus locations, inside and outside. This position requires flexible hours, including days, nights, and weekends. Due to the packaging of food products, must be able to lift up to 50 pounds. A valid driver’s license is required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minnetrista is a community gathering place that celebrates and explores the Ball Family Legacy in our region. Located in Muncie, Indiana along the White River, Minnetrista is a 40-acre campus that includes a museum center, 3 historic homes along the nationally registered Historic Minnetrista Boulevard, 20+ acres of gardens, and a 6-acre Nature Area. Minnetrista is the largest nonprofit cultural leader serving East Central Indiana with a staff of 52 FTEs.
Minnetrista is the home of the Ball Jar; a gathering place and catalyst for community engagement. We create shared experiences that connect people, leading to a better quality of life.
We envision a thriving community where people who call this region home take pride in its accomplishments and aspire to a brighter future.
Family & Relationships – Minnetrista treasures shared experiences. From our founders to our visitors, from our employees to our community partners and supporters, we champion the power of growing together.
Adaptability – Minnetrista creates experiences that reflect the organization yet anticipate the needs and exceed the expectations of our audience. As an organization, we are nimble and quick to respond to opportunities and challenges.
Stewardship – Following in our founders’ footsteps, we care for, preserve and protect that with which we have been entrusted so that those who follow us can continue the legacy. Minnetrista is a strong and sustainable asset that supports economic development for our community.
Entrepreneurship – Minnetrista embraces a culture of innovation and risk-taking that responds responsibly to opportunities that advance our vision, mission and strategic goals.
Learning – We celebrate learning experiences that are fun and engaging, encourage visitors to explore their world, and educate through discovery and play.
PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR AVAILABILITY WITH YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME
Or mail your cover letter and resume to:
Attn: Human Resources Manager
1200 N. Minnetrista Pkwy.
Muncie, IN 47303-2925
*If you encounter an issue while applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Resumes with cover letters will receive additional consideration – our jobs require writing, so a cover letter is a good way to “show what you know and how it applies to the posted position.”