Position Title: Human Resources Manager
Reporting Department: Administration
Reporting Supervisor: President & CEO
Primary Location: Minnetrista Center Building
Length of Appointment: Year Around
Status: Exempt – Full Time
Manages all aspects of the human resource function of Minnetrista Cultural Foundation, Inc. (Minnetrista), including employee relations and communications, staff recruitment and on-boarding, identifying and addressing staff training needs, performance management, and implementation of HR best practices. Oversees the institution’s volunteer program. Ensures policies and procedures are aligned with and promote Minnetrista’s mission, vision and strategic goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resource management or related field and minimum 3 years of related experience as a human resource generalist.
- Sound knowledge of federal and state labor laws.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively with people at all levels.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong computer proficiency with demonstrated abilities working with MicroSoft Office Suite, HRIS (ADP preferred), and other computer systems.
- Ability to represent Minnetrista professionally.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR), SHRM Certified Professional or Senior CP certification is a plus.
To be happy and successful in this position, an individual must be personally aligned with Minnetrista’s cultural values and visitor-centric focus. They should be able to ensure effective working relationships by cultivating and maintaining professional credibility with all staff, administration and the Board of Trustees. The individual should demonstrate maturity, sound judgment, a good sense of humor, and be energized by working collaboratively with peers and colleagues throughout the organization and community. Experience in a nonprofit environment will be beneficial.
Minnetrista’s culture is team-oriented and collaborative. To that end, all positions include the following three performance standards:
- Your first priority and responsibility is to achieve the organization’s purpose. In other words, you in particular are responsible for considering Minnetrista’s mission, vision, values, goals and strategies within your daily routines.
- Your second priority and responsibility is to help others achieve the organization’s purpose.
- Your third priority and responsibility is to carry out your job function.
Staff & Staff Development
- Direct the recruitment and hiring of a diverse staff. Coordinate all job postings. Partner with management staff to make hiring recommendations.
- Develop /implement employee orientation and on-boarding and off-boarding programs.
- Organize and facilitate monthly All-Staff meetings. Identify staff needs and desired outcomes for meetings and work with management and external providers to address these.
- Identify and recommend professional training and development programs for staff using out-sourced workshops and/or in-house training seminars.
- Maintain and update, as needed, the institution’s employee handbook, ensuring that all personnel policies and practices are in legal compliance.
- Manage the performance evaluation function, review all evaluations and ensure that salary increase recommendations fall within specified guidelines and correspond to written evaluations.
- Serve as a training resource for managers and supervisors in effectively managing their people, improving the performance and effectiveness of their teams, managing conflict, and confronting difficult situations.
- Establish and oversee institutional safety and health programs, including any required training programs.
- Coach management and supervisory staff on disciplinary matters. Advise a course of action and assist in compiling and completing documentation.
Compensation & Employee Benefits
- Implement and update compensation program to set salary grades and maintain salary ranges, working with external advisors/consultants as needed. Maintain and update job descriptions as necessary. Benchmark salaries and participate in salary surveys and work with Vice President of Finance & Operations to develop annual salary budget.
- Work with the Vice President of Finance & Operations to administer the institution’s insurance plans, including health, life and disability. Educate employees about benefits.
- Work with the Vice President of Finance & Operations to administer the institution’s defined contribution [401(k)] plan. Educate employees about the plan. Work closely with outside vendors regarding administration of the plan.
- Prepare and process biweekly payroll. Coordinate completion of payroll with the Vice President of Finance & Operations, who serves as the back-up payroll processor.
- Monitor and verify employee leave requests.
- Ensure compliance with all legal, regulatory and organizational guidelines that affect human resources (g., FMLA, FLSA, OSHA, EEOC, ERISA, COBRA, and Wage & Hour).
- Maintain all personnel files and related records in accordance with applicable labor laws.
- Investigate accidents and prepare reports for insurance carriers (g., Workers Compensation Benefit).
- Investigate employee conflicts, complaints, and concerns and keep President/CEO informed of major issues.
- Oversee HRIS technology and ensure accuracy of HR-related data.
- Research and propose policies, programs, and practices to stay up-to-date on current trends and best practices.
- Develop and maintain annual departmental budget.
- Represent institution at personnel-related hearings and investigations and, as necessary, work with Minnetrista legal counsel on issues related to human resources.
- Oversee Minnetrista’s volunteer and intern programs. Supervise and coach HR Assistant who manages these programs.
- Periodically conduct employee opinion surveys, conduct feedback sessions, analyze feedback and make recommendations as to follow-up.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Primarily a typical office environment with desk, computer, phone, files; however, must be able to move about the entire Minnetrista 40-acre campus. Work hours require some flexibility with some evenings and weekends.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience and strong benefits package. Minnetrista values diversity and inclusivity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Position is open until filled. Applications are accepted online at http://minnetrista.net/home/about-minnetrista/careers/ Please provide a cover letter and full resume, plus three – five references.
Minnetrista is a community gathering place that celebrates and explores the Ball Family Legacy in our region. Located in Muncie, Indiana along the White River, Minnetrista is a 40-acre campus that includes a museum center, 3 historic homes along the nationally registered Historic Minnetrista Boulevard, 20+ acres of gardens, and a 6-acre Nature Area. Minnetrista is the largest nonprofit cultural leader serving East Central Indiana with a staff of 52 FTEs.
Minnetrista is the home of the Ball Jar; a gathering place and catalyst for community engagement. We create shared experiences that connect people, leading to a better quality of life.
We envision a thriving community where people who call this region home take pride in its accomplishments and aspire to a brighter future.
Family & Relationships – Minnetrista treasures shared experiences. From our founders to our visitors, from our employees to our community partners and supporters, we champion the power of growing together.
Adaptability – Minnetrista creates experiences that reflect the organization yet anticipate the needs and exceed the expectations of our audience. As an organization, we are nimble and quick to respond to opportunities and challenges.
Stewardship – Following in our founders’ footsteps, we care for, preserve and protect that with which we have been entrusted so that those who follow us can continue the legacy. Minnetrista is a strong and sustainable asset that supports economic development for our community.
Entrepreneurship – Minnetrista embraces a culture of innovation and risk-taking that responds responsibly to opportunities that advance our vision, mission and strategic goals.
Learning – We celebrate learning experiences that are fun and engaging, encourage visitors to explore their world, and educate through discovery and play.
PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR AVAILABILITY WITH YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME
Or mail your cover letter and resume to:
Attn: Human Resources Manager
1200 N. Minnetrista Pkwy.
Muncie, IN 47303-2925
*If you encounter an issue while applying online please email email@example.com
Resumes with cover letters will receive additional consideration – our jobs require writing, so a cover letter is a good way to “show what you know and how it applies to the posted position.”