Position Title: Lead Horticulture Specialist
Reporting Department: Horticulture Department
Reporting Supervisor: Horticulture Manager
Location: Minnetrista Campus
Length of Appointment: Year Around
Status: Non-exempt – Full time
This position will be responsible for providing leadership, support and labor in all gardens and natural areas throughout Minnetrista’s campus. Reporting to and working directly with the Horticulture Manager, the Lead Horticulture Specialist will also serve as team lead on projects and deliver positive visitor and volunteer experiences.
- Must have at least 3 years work experience in the field of Horticulture.
- Must be willing to work outdoors in all types of weather.
- Must demonstrate a history of leading work groups as well as managing independent projects.
- Must operate manual transmission vehicles and a wide range of horticultural equipment with proper training.
- Be able to communicate effectively with staff, volunteers, and the general public.
- Ability to lead and work directly with diverse groups of staff and volunteers in a positive and professional manner.
- Dependability and sufficient understanding of the position to prioritize work.
- A basic ability to use computers and Microsoft Office.
- GIS software knowledge is a plus.
- Working knowledge of plant identification is a must.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
To be happy and successful in this position, an individual must be personally aligned with Minnetrista’s cultural values and visitor-centric focus. S/he should be able to ensure effective working relationships by cultivating and maintaining professional credibility with all staff, administration, and volunteers. The individual should demonstrate maturity, sound judgement, a good sense of humor, and be energized by working collaboratively with peers and colleagues throughout the organization and community.
Minnetrista’s culture is team-oriented and collaborative. To that end, all positions include the following three performance standards:
- Your first priority and responsibility is to achieve the organization’s purpose. In other words, you in particular are responsible for considering Minnetrista’s vision, values, mission, goals and strategies in your daily work.
- Your second priority and responsibility is to help others achieve the organization’s purpose.
- Your third priority and responsibility is to carry out your job function.
A significant portion of your responsibilities as Lead Horticulture Specialist will include leading teams to maintain the gardens at Minnetrista. Garden teams will include volunteers and seasonal gardeners of varying backgrounds and experience. You will be a coach, teacher, and trainer, bringing the work plans of the day to completion by managing your team.
As a team leader, it is crucial for you to provide feedback to the Horticulture Manager on the successes and challenges of the assigned tasks and team dynamics. You will also provide feedback on individual seasonal gardener performance, individual volunteers and volunteer groups . As a team we will share in the appreciation of a job well done and provide critiques and suggestions for continuous improvement. You will be expected to prioritize and manage the work load independently which includes the application of chemicals as needed and appropriate.
Responsibilities and expectations will include:
- Participate in cross-functional departmental teams to achieve Minnetrista’s goals and the goals of the Horticulture Department.
- Greet and interact with visitors on-site and provide exceptional customer service by providing information about the institution and its events and by answering garden inquiries.
- Assist in the implementation of institutional events.
- Regularly contribute to a bi-weekly local newspaper column (Get Up and Grow) that strives to connect with our community of garden explorers and hobbyists.
- Follow all safety protocols and use of appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) and ensure PPE use by all seasonal gardeners and volunteers.
- Assist in interpretation of the gardens and participate in outreach and educational workshops as assigned.
- Organize and maintain volunteers and volunteering opportunities.
- Willingness to perform all other labor-related duties as required.
The need and opportunity to continually learn and grow your horticulture knowledge is a high priority in this position. You will be responsible for your own independent research in identified areas of need that is expected to improve your ability to achieve success in your job functions and to support the Horticulture Manager in long-term management choices. Within the first year of employment, you must receive Core and Category 3A or 6 Pesticide Training.
Work setting is outdoors on a year-round basis. Indoors, a desk and computer are provided. Must be able to lift up to 50lbs. Since Minnetrista accommodates numerous public programs and events, all staff are required to provide coverage as needed, day and night, seven days a week. Frequent mandatory work schedule changing, with limited notice, is to be expected.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Salary: $16 – $18/hour
Excellent Benefits Package
Minnetrista is a community gathering place that celebrates and explores the Ball Family Legacy in our region. Located in Muncie, Indiana along the White River, Minnetrista is a 40-acre campus that includes a museum center, 3 historic homes along the nationally registered Historic Minnetrista Boulevard, 20+ acres of gardens, and a 6-acre Nature Area. Minnetrista is the largest nonprofit cultural leader serving East Central Indiana with a staff of 52 FTEs.
Minnetrista is the home of the Ball Jar; a gathering place and catalyst for community engagement. We create shared experiences that connect people, leading to a better quality of life.
We envision a thriving community where people who call this region home take pride in its accomplishments and aspire to a brighter future.
Family & Relationships – Minnetrista treasures shared experiences. From our founders to our visitors, from our employees to our community partners and supporters, we champion the power of growing together.
Adaptability – Minnetrista creates experiences that reflect the organization yet anticipate the needs and exceed the expectations of our audience. As an organization, we are nimble and quick to respond to opportunities and challenges.
Stewardship – Following in our founders’ footsteps, we care for, preserve and protect that with which we have been entrusted so that those who follow us can continue the legacy. Minnetrista is a strong and sustainable asset that supports economic development for our community.
Entrepreneurship – Minnetrista embraces a culture of innovation and risk-taking that responds responsibly to opportunities that advance our vision, mission and strategic goals.
Learning – We celebrate learning experiences that are fun and engaging, encourage visitors to explore their world, and educate through discovery and play.
PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR AVAILABILITY WITH YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME
Or mail your cover letter and resume to:
Attn: Human Resources Manager
1200 N. Minnetrista Pkwy.
Muncie, IN 47303-2925
*If you encounter an issue while applying online please email email@example.com
Resumes with cover letters will receive additional consideration – our jobs require writing, so a cover letter is a good way to “show what you know and how it applies to the posted position.”