Position Title: Seasonal Gardener
Reporting Department: Horticulture
Reporting Supervisor: Horticulture Manager
Location: Minnetrista Campus
Length of Appointment: Temporary
Status: Non-exempt – Full Time
This position will be responsible for the support and labor of all horticultural areas at Minnetrista. Reporting to the Horticulture Manager but working directly under and with the full-time horticulture staff, the gardener will also focus on and provide a positive visitor and volunteer experience.
- Must love working outdoors, general knowledge of horticulture or natural resources is a plus.
- The gardener must have good customer service skills and work well both in a group setting and alone.
- This position requires the ability to learn quickly and retain information.
- Must be well groomed.
- Must have a very good sense of urgency and priority.
- Must have the endurance to work full days in possible adverse weather conditions and be dependable.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Flexibility of schedule and daily routine.
- Must be willing to operate a manual transmission vehicle.
To be happy and successful in this position, an individual must be personally aligned with Minnetrista’s cultural values and visitor-centric focus. S/he should also be able to ensure effective working relationships by cultivating and maintaining professional credibility with all staff, administration and volunteers. The individual should demonstrate maturity, sound judgement, a good sense of humor, and be energized by working collaboratively with peers and colleagues throughout the organization and community.
Minnetrista’s culture is team-oriented and collaborative. To that end, all positions include the following three performance standards:
- Your first priority and responsibility is to achieve the organization’s purpose. In other words, you in particular are responsible for considering Minnetrista’s vision, values, mission, goals and strategies in your daily routines.
- Your second priority and responsibility is to help others achieve the organization’s purpose.
- Your third priority and responsibility is to carry out your job function.
- Keep assigned gardens and/or natural areas maintained daily.
- Weed, plant, transplant, water, rake, dig, mulch, deadhead, and operate equipment as required.
- Perform occasional weekend watering duties.
- Work with and assist other staff, interns, and volunteers.
- Greet and interact with visitors on-site by answering questions in a professional manner.
- Practice proper tool usage and use appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Expand knowledge of horticulture through participating in “Plant of the Week”.
- Be flexible in obtaining new gardening techniques.
- Will perform all other labor related duties as required.
Work environment will be outdoors on the grounds of Minnetrista.
The organization will need coverage by the horticulture department seven days a week based on assigned operating hours. You will be expected to work within this time frame. Since Minnetrista accommodates numerous public programs and events all staff are required to provide coverage as needed, day and night, seven days a week. Frequent mandatory work schedule changing, with limited notice, is to be expected.
A valid driver’s license is required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minnetrista is a community gathering place that celebrates and explores the Ball Family Legacy in our region. Located in Muncie, Indiana along the White River, Minnetrista is a 40-acre campus that includes a museum center, 3 historic homes along the nationally registered Historic Minnetrista Boulevard, 20+ acres of gardens, and a 6-acre Nature Area. Minnetrista is the largest nonprofit cultural leader serving East Central Indiana with a staff of 52 FTEs.
Minnetrista is the home of the Ball Jar; a gathering place and catalyst for community engagement. We create shared experiences that connect people, leading to a better quality of life.
We envision a thriving community where people who call this region home take pride in its accomplishments and aspire to a brighter future.
Family & Relationships – Minnetrista treasures shared experiences. From our founders to our visitors, from our employees to our community partners and supporters, we champion the power of growing together.
Adaptability – Minnetrista creates experiences that reflect the organization yet anticipate the needs and exceed the expectations of our audience. As an organization, we are nimble and quick to respond to opportunities and challenges.
Stewardship – Following in our founders’ footsteps, we care for, preserve and protect that with which we have been entrusted so that those who follow us can continue the legacy. Minnetrista is a strong and sustainable asset that supports economic development for our community.
Entrepreneurship – Minnetrista embraces a culture of innovation and risk-taking that responds responsibly to opportunities that advance our vision, mission and strategic goals.
Learning – We celebrate learning experiences that are fun and engaging, encourage visitors to explore their world, and educate through discovery and play.
PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR AVAILABILITY WITH YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME
Or mail your cover letter and resume to:
Attn: Human Resources Manager
1200 N. Minnetrista Pkwy.
Muncie, IN 47303-2925
*If you encounter an issue while applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Resumes with cover letters will receive additional consideration – our jobs require writing, so a cover letter is a good way to “show what you know and how it applies to the posted position.”